What is a Web Part in SharePoint? SharePoint Web Parts.
The Microsoft SharePoint platform allows users to create intranet websites with the use of multiple templates and SharePoint web parts, which incredibly expand the basic functionality.
SharePoint Web Parts are segmental components that shape the basic building block of a page on SharePoint sites. Web parts can help customize intranet content, layout and a set of adjustable scripts in certain pages via the web interface.
They can be used to create or modify a SharePoint page to exhibit contents or business information from various obtains on the same page. End users can add it to various points in a web page after enhancement by the administrator.
Web parts, that can be combined in a certain order, are affixed to a Web Part zone on Web Part pages by SharePoint administrators at the time of use.
SharePoint Web Parts by Categories
Since Microsoft SharePoint serves as an intranet platform for automating business processes, connecting employees and enhancing collaboration within an organization, all the variety of web parts can be sorted out according to its purposes:
- List and Libraries. The web parts of this category possess the name or identity of the list and library from where data were acquired. Thus, the SharePoint Calendar Web Part, which is a List View Web Part, displays a calendar.The Announcement Web Part also displays a list of announcements. It is possible for you to affix a List View Web Part from the same list to various Web Parts or sites. Each of them would display the same information in your customized view (optional) and alterations made in a single place would appear in all of them.
- Content Rollup web parts are used to highlight active contents on a web page. An example is the Content Query Web Part, which is used to query content from any place on the web. We also have the Picture Library Slide Show, which can be used for displaying images from the Picture Libraries as slideshows.
- Media and Content Web Parts are important for displaying pictures, texts, and video on a page. An example is the Content Editor which is used to add hyperlinks, formatted texts, and tables to your page. It also enables the user to add images. We also have the Image Viewer which can be used to add an image gallery to a page.
- Business Data. An example is the Business Lists web part. It displays data and information from external databases.
- People Web Parts allow you to present information about users in the establishment.
What is a Custom Web Part in SharePoint?
A custom web part is a personalized Web Part created by a user for his own use. A site holder or user who has necessary authorization can customize Web Parts page using internet browsers or Microsoft SharePoint Designer to insert, modify or delete a Web Part.
You can expand SharePoint sites by generating custom Web Parts, to improve the additional scope of user customization and personalization. Creating custom Web Parts produces a simple and strong way of extending SharePoint Foundation sites.
Stated below are some advantages and uses of custom Web Part:
- Make custom attributes that you can show and change or alter in the user interface.
- Safe and regulate access to content inside the Web Part. Inbuilt Web Parts allow users with the right authorization to convert content and change Web Part functionality. Using a custom web part in SharePoint, you can choose the contents you want users to be able to see, irrespective of their permissions.
- Enable connectivity of your Web Part, allowing Web parts the ability to gain or provide access to data from other accessible Web Parts.
- Network with object replicas that are displayed in SharePoint: you can generate a custom Web Part to accumulate documents to a SharePoint document library.
- Profit from a prolific growth setting with debugging qualities that are run by tools such as Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Generate a base style for other Web Parts to broaden. For example, in order to make a collection of Web Parts that possess the same characteristics, make a custom base style, which numerous Web Parts can take over from. This minimizes the total expense of building and testing succeeding Web Parts.
- Influence Web Part operation. For instance, you can be able to write a custom server-side Web Part that bonds to a source database, or you can make a Web Part that is congruent with a wider scope of Web.
The SharePoint Web Parts Developed by VirtoSoftware
VirtoSoftware, one of the leading web part vendors, provides an extensive set of additional abilities for SharePoint-based processes, such as:
- Team work.The web parts, like Calendar for displaying events and task scheduling from multiple lists in one view and SharePoint Form Designer can greatly improve team collaboration.
- User administration.If talking about irreplaceable administrative software tools, we would surely highlight AD User Profile Service, User Redirect Web Part and Create & Clone AD User Account web parts. The default SharePoint AD management setting page is replaced with an intuitive, accessible visual interface comes with the components, so it is a great time saver for SharePoint administrators.
- Alert system.The default SharePoint notification system is not that configurable. VirtoSoftware offers software products with their own approach to configuration and messaging via e-mail and sms. The options are available in the user-friendly interface with no need for coding. Virto Software’s Alerts and Reminders web part has a trigger system that can automate sending notifications, especially handy at big companies with thousands of employees.
- Task and project management.Kanban Board and Gantt Chart View web parts help running internal and public projects. Both tools have visualization elements intended to make a project flow transparent and easy manageable.
- Work with large file arrays.The web parts like Bulk File Upload, Bulk File Download, HTML5 File Bulk Upload, Bulk File Unzip can rapidly process and execute various operations with a large amount of data (e.g., file libraries, large media files, etc.) without processing single files manually. The full package of bulk file web parts is available at a discounted price.
- Password administration.For a complex approach to password management you can use the following three web parts: Password Change Web Part, Password Reset and Recovery Web Part and Password Expiration Web Part.
- Workflow suite. Workflow Scheduler and Workflow Status Monitor are VirtoSoftware’s components developed specifically for in-depth default workflow management. We recommend businesses, working with a number of projects simultaneously, to consider the SharePoint Workflow Activities Extensions Kit, which includes more than 270 extensive solutions for work with SharePoint Designer and is reasonably priced. VirtoSoftware also offers custom development of workflow actions by request.
✓ USEFUL LINKS