SharePoint Calendar is a smart and multi-purpose tool capable of solving most of the organizational and collaborative matters which every team faces. We are going to overview two ways of creating a SharePoint calendar for teams – using SharePoint OOTB options and Virto Calendar App.
How to Set Up a SharePoint Calendar for Teams
A SharePoint calendar (or sharepoint calender) for teams is based on Group calendar, and provides all the required options and settings for multiple user access. The group calendar enables team members to stay informed of their co-workers availability, collaborative events, and shared resources availability. Share point calendar makes every teamwork mush easier. Check out the guide on how to create a group calendar if needed.
Aggregate Team Members’ Calendars
A SharePoint group calendar allows you to display and manage multiple calendars in one view. SharePoint calendar overlay feature provides an ability to merge all required calendars in one grid.
Since you can see the availability of your co-workers and meeting rooms on a single team SharePoint calendar, it becomes easy to schedule team meetings and organize events. Also, a shared team calendar eliminates risks of underused resources or double booking of a conference room. These features of calendar in sharepoint help company to avoid misunderstandings.
Highlight Events by Categories in SharePoint Calendars
Highlighting event categories with different colors helps quickly get an idea of the team members’ schedules. Color coding events can be performed with the SharePoint calendar view overlay option. It’s very convenient to use calendar in sharepoint is very especially for enterprise-level companies.
You need to create a view for each event category, make the required settings, and overlay the views onto the basic group calendar. This way, the group calendar displays who of the team is on a sick leave, who is on a business trip, and who is involved in the quarterly meeting.
Level Up Permissions and Enable Advance Options
A SharePoint calendar for teams inherits the permission settings made to the entire team site. Say, if a certain user group has a Read permission level, they are not allowed to make changes to the group calendar.
As a team site administrator, you can set up specific permissions to the group calendar – the same way as to any SharePoint list or library.
Your team members may need to attach files and images to the calendar events. To make the option available, go to Calendar > Settings >List settings >Advanced settings, and enable Attachments to list items.
Creating Sharepoint Calendars for Teams with Virto Calendar App
Virto Calendar app provides users with the ability to create shared calendars through SharePoint event lists overlay feature. It helps to display multiple calendars in one view, thus aggregating events from each team member’s calendar. Follow our simple and clear video guide.
- When you go to Settings, you will see the list of available calendars and data sources. Now let’s create a new one. To begin with, we give a name to our calendar. Then, from our existing data sources, we choose the ones we want to be displayed on our calendar. So we simply select it from the list and save it.
- In case we want to create a new data source, we click on “New data source”. Here we can enter the URL of the site we want to pull the lists from. When we put in the URL and press “Refresh”, we will find the lists imported from the URL we entered.
- If we scroll through, we will see a few more options. When we go to the bottom and press save, we will see our newly created data source displayed. And when we scroll down we will see some more options such as our default calendar view, what format we want for our event data, etc.
- When we click “Save”, we will see now the calendar in the list of other SharePoint calendars. When we click on the eye to view, our newly created calendar will be displayed.
This is a great way to create a team calendar where in one view you can get an idea about what every member of your team is up to.
Team Calendar in SharePoint: Common Uses
- A company calendar shared to all employees to schedule meetings, holidays, seminars, company events, and daily tasks.
- SharePoint project management became easier with a visualized time schedule. Every project update can be tracked by each team member.
- HR department calendar allows managers to display vacations schedules to organize projects in appliance with employees’ attendance.
- SharePoint team site calendar can be used for meeting rooms reservation and booking equipment.
✓ USEFUL LINKS ON SHAREPOINT CALENDARS