How to Share Tasks from MS Planner with Virto Calendar and MS Teams
Did you know that the Virto Calendar Online app now allows you to add tasks from your Microsoft Planner and show them in a single calendar view or as a separate tab in your MS Teams? Read our article and learn how to achieve a higher level of planning and management with VirtoSoftware and O365 tools.
Recently VirtoSoftware has updated the Calendar Online App for Office 365. Now you can see the MS Planner among the source calendars and add tasks from your plans directly to Virto Calendar. If you use Planner for task management, you can easily see your plans structured, for example, as a Kanban board. But this view is not good enough if you need to measure time and build the schedule of your working day/week, month, etc. And when you work with a team, you may also need to share all of these with your colleagues to provide efficient collaboration for your projects. Take a look at the case described below. We have prepared a detailed description of how you can ease your business pain and assemble three collaboration tools with their specific tasks into a single view.
The case describes the real issues of our clients and the solution we provided for them. So, the company uses three software tools for their activity:
- Microsoft Planner as a planning application on the O365 platform. Planner enables them to create plans, assemble and assign tasks, share files, communicate, and collaborate with other users, and receive progress updates. They have also chosen the Kanban view to visualize the processes and organize them in a clear structure.
- Microsoft Teams is used for teamwork, which brings together chats and threaded conversations, meetings & video conferencing, calling, content collaboration.
- Virto Calendar to overlay Office 365 calendars (Outlook events and SharePoint calendars) as a single SharePoint calendar. Each calendar has a specific color and event category to get a well-structured and clear SharePoint calendars overlay.
Well, Planner is for tasks, Calendar for events, and Teams for teamwork. Each tool for its specific group of tasks and goals. All three applications let you see your work from different angles. You focus on the tasks themselves, on the time you need to complete them, and on people working with these tasks with you or related somehow to your work. But the more tools you use, the more time you usually need to switch between browser tabs or applications. What if we can assemble them in a single view to skip the necessity of frequent switches and make a clear picture of all the elements combined in one? VirtoSoftware guys definitely know how you can achieve this goal with a few steps.
If You Still Don’t Have Virto Calendar
You can organize your tasks by adding one or more Planner tabs to a team channel in Microsoft Teams. Then you can work on your plan from within Teams or in Planner for web and get notified in Teams when a task is assigned to you in Planner. This will do quite a lot for improved collaboration but will not resolve the situation for 100%. Because you will see only the shared plans but will not include events from the shared calendar. So, you still have to check your calendar all the time to sync-up.
The Solution is Here!
We offer to use Virto Calendar jointly with Planner and Teams. All you need to do to solve the challenge is:
1) Install Virto Calendar if you don’t have it yet.
2) Overlay all the calendars you need including tasks from Planner.
3) Create a tab in the Teams channel with the shared Virto Calendar.
In our case, the company already uses Virto Calendar to overlay calendars from Outlook and SharePoint. If you don’t, you can install the Virto Calendar App directly from Teams.
Go to the Virto Calendar settings and open “Available Calendars”. Click “Create New” or open the existing calendar where you’d like to add Planner’s tasks.
Choose the checkbox “Display tasks from MS Planner” and save the calendar settings.
The tasks from Planner appear in the shared calendar. Now you can see all of them in a single view and track them without switching between the apps.
Now there is one step left — add Virto Calendar with tasks from Planner to your MS Teams channel. Open the channel and click “+”.
Search for Virto Calendar.
Select the Calendar with Planner tasks you’ve just created and add it to Teams.
Now the Calendar appears in a separate tab of your Team’s channel. You have tasks from Planner and shared calendars in your Teams. Use it without switching between the apps and browser tabs from anywhere you need.
The Benefits You Get
- Visualized insight of your team’s tasks and events;
- Organized teamwork with intuitive apps;
- Three tools assembled into a single view, no need to switch all the time;
- Ability to be well informed with your mobile version of Teams even if you’re not in your workplace at the moment;
- You can manage all your tasks and events in Teams.
VirtoSoftware always shows how you can do the business easily using the right tools. Virto products work perfectly with Office 365 applications and let you find the best way to boost your management processes to a higher level.
Thank you for your interest in Virto products!